Tuesday, September 24, 2013

One of Those Things I Thought I'd Never See

My father was in the RCAF. I spent my formative years on airbases. When I was in junior high, the lemmings were all growing their hair long and reciting dimwitted slogans about peace and love. I joined Air Cadets.

For a while, the FW-190 was my favourite WWII fighter. Back then, there were none left. They had all been destroyed or lost.

I first discovered the Flying Heritage Collection when I read that an FW-190 had been pulled from the taiga near what was then Leningrad (now Petrograd) and was being restored to flying condition. I told Chris that when it was restored, I was going to go see it.

On Saturday, I got to see and hear something I had once thought impossible: an original Focke-Wulf FW-190 A-5 in flight.


No comments: